Southern Company Engineer - Licensing (Vogtle 3&4) in Waynesboro, Georgia
Engineer - Licensing (Vogtle 3&4)
ENGINEER– LICENSING (Plant Vogtle 3&4)
If you want to make an impact, then we want YOU!
Want to use your skills to make a difference in your community every single day? Then join the Southern Nuclear team that’s improving the lives of our neighbors in Alabama and Georgia. We operate six units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power that generate vital energy for our communities:
• The Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan, Ala.
• The Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant near Baxley, Ga.
• The Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Ga.
We’re also building the future of energy with two new nuclear units currently under construction at Plant Vogtle. And we’re leading the charge on the research and development of the next generation of nuclear reactors – all for the benefit of our customers.
Thanks to our people, we’ve earned our place as an energy leader. If YOU want to want make a positive impact in your community and be part of the team that’s taking our industry to new levels of excellence, then we want YOU!
ENGINEER– LICENSING (Plant Vogtle 3&4)
Southern Nuclear Operating Company's Regulatory Affairs Department is seeking to fill a Site Licensing Engineer position at Plants Vogtle 3&4. The successful candidate will support the Site Licensing Supervisor in the overall compliance interface with NRC at the construction site for Vogtle 3&4. This involves keeping abreast of industry licensing issues and the potential impacts to the plant. This position will receive strategic direction and functional support from the Site Licensing Supervisor and will report directly to the Site Licensing Supervisor.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Supports the Site Licensing Supervisor in advising the site Licensing Manager and Plant Management on site-specific NRC licensing and compliance issues.
• Supports site organizations regarding licensing basis compliance questions and determinations, including construction, testing, and operations.
• Prepares licensing changes needed to support construction, testing, and operations.
• Understands the regulatory/licensing basis of the plant with regard to all emergent NRC issues.
• Interfaces with the NRC Site Resident Inspectors.
• Supports NRC inspections to assure the plant is adequately prepared. In this capacity, the incumbent will become familiar with NRC inspection procedures, enforcement procedures, and significance determination process (SDP) procedures.
Job Experience and Education
• Bachelor of Science degree in engineering from an accredited college or university, or Professional Engineer license, is required.
• On site nuclear power plant experience involving licensing is desired.
• At least 5 years work experience in Licensing or Engineering is desired. Plant specific knowledge is desired but not required.
• Previous AP1000 experience is desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Working knowledge of nuclear power plant design and systems is desired.
• Working knowledge of industry codes and standards, associated regulations, and design documentation sufficient to prepare licensing submittals and effective interpretations is desired.
• Working knowledge of design and licensing basis for nuclear plants is desired.
• Working knowledge of Part 52 licensing is desired.
• Ability to represent SNC at NRC and industry meetings is desired.
• Strong technical writing skills preferred.
• Ability to maintain attention to details in written and spoken communication is required.
• Ability to communicate well, to make presentations to senior SNC management, and to build trusting relationships with the Site NRC Resident and NRC Inspectors.
• Must exhibit the Southern Style behaviors - Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance, Total Commitment
• Demonstrate initiative and ability to work independently
• Occasional travel required.
• Availability for afterhours plant support
Please note: This position may require the successful completion of the SNC Initial Engineering Training as a condition of continued employment. The training is several weeks long and is a rigorous period that may require studying after work hours.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-East Georgia-Waynesboro
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Vogtle 3 & 4 - 7825 River Road (7825WAYNESBORO)
7825 River Road
Req ID: SNC2005499