Southern Company Staff Accountant I / II in Naperville, Illinois
Staff Accountant I / II
Responsible for monthly general ledger closing, analyses and reporting for Nicor Gas Supply accounting department.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
• Records accounting transactions via journal entries relating to gas storage inventory and cost of gas.
• Interacts with internal and external auditors and provides schedules and data.
• Performs general ledger account reconciliations; analyzes and researches outstanding items/issues.
• Provides support for FERC and other regulatory filings.
• Works with customers (internal and external) to resolve problems; answers questions and provides data.
• Follows policies and procedures and adheres to SOX controls.
• Generates standard and non-standard reports and analysis.
• Reviews work-flow processes; provides continuous process improvement suggestions
Education and Experience:
• BA/BS degree in Accounting
• 1 - 5 years relevant professional experience
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or currently pursuing
• Natural gas or similar regulated industry experience
• Demonstrates working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• MS Excel - intermediate proficiency ( Assessment Required )
• Analytical and judgment skills
• Time management and organization skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently
• PeopleSoft Financials General Ledger experience
• Oracle General Ledger experience
• Gas Pro Software experience
Executing for Results Collaboration and Building Relationships
Learning and Thinking Business Acumen
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Keyboarding = 80-85%
• Viewing reports and information on-line = 80-85%
Disclaimer: This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy company serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries as of Jan. 1, 2019. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company, a fiber optics network and telecommunications services . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices below the national average. For more than a century, we have been building the future of energy and developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, advanced carbon capture technologies, natural gas, renewables, energy efficiency and storage technology. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation and a low-carbon future, Southern Company and its subsidiaries develop the customized energy solutions our customers and communities require to drive growth and prosperity. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and govern our business to the benefit of our world. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have been recognized nationally by the U.S. Department of Defense, G.I. Jobs magazine, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, Forbes and the Women's Choice Award. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Accounting & Auditing
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Naperville
Operating Company: Nicor Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
G O Naperville - 1844 W Ferry Rd. (1844NapervilleCODE)
1844 W Ferry Rd.
Req ID: GAS2002552