Southern Company Budget Analyst (Plant Farley) in Columbia, Alabama
Budget Analyst (Plant Farley)
Budget Analyst (Plant Farley)
This position analyzes and supports accounting, budgeting, management reporting, cost control, and financial decision-making at Plant Farley ensuring governance is followed. This position resides at the plant but is a member of the Financial & Business Operations organization at Corporate.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills )
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or similar field required. CPA, CMA, or advanced degree preferred.
· At least one year of experience in financial and accounting disciplines, including financial planning and analysis, and budgeting. 3 years of experience is preferred.
· Professional with demonstrated excellence in operational accounting, budgeting, and cost control in the following fields is preferred: nuclear, generation, transmission, distribution, manufacturing.
· Understanding and application of accounting principles and pronouncements and public service commission orders.
· Working knowledge of the FERC system of accounts, basic public utility operations, and regulatory utility ratemaking concepts strongly preferred.
· Understanding of the Southern Company business model and Alabama Power ratemaking mechanism a plus.
· Exhibit the confidence to challenge others when appropriate and the ability to discern when issues require escalation.
· Aptitude to become a subject matter expert for various financial and cost matters and proactively identify and resolve problems.
· Strong communication skills, with the ability to effectively tailor and deliver information to all levels in the organization and function well in a team environment.
· High level of inquisitiveness and maintains a questioning attitude.
· Ability to manage and prioritize several assignments simultaneously, adapt to emergent issues, and perform routine tasks with little to no direct supervision to produce desired results.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Specify major duties performed by the job and % of time spent on duties.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Provide oversight for – and assurance of – compliance with fleet financial policies, processes, and standards.
· Interact with – and provide financial counsel to – budget coordinators and management, regarding accounting, budgeting, and other financial issues. May periodically fill in for site financial operations manager.
· Coordinate and support the development, approval, and execution of budgets such that they comply with regulatory requirements, meet the strategic objectives of SNC and Alabama Power, and are supported by SNC senior leadership.
o Ensure annual budget development is consistent with SNC fleet standards and best practices and that assumptions are appropriately challenged.
o Ensure that previously identified budget deficiencies/gaps are corrected, and future years incorporate short-, intermediate-, and long-range plans.
o Ensure that budgets are developed with the requisite level of details.
o Develop plans to ensure local and fleet deadlines are met.
o Data entry and perform administrative controls.
· Coordinate and support cost analysis and monthly re-projection process, refueling outage cost estimating and daily tracking, and development of management reports that enable Farley’s line organizations to collectively make prudent cost-related decisions.
o Embrace and support a culture of excellence in optimization of station costs, including O&M, capital, inventory, and all elements of cost drivers therein, to increase the value of Farley’s generation. Leverage tools and relationships to drive increasingly strategic and intrusive methods to achieve this end, i.e., SNC cost owner relationships/knowledge, monthly reports and oversight meetings, peer team best practices, etc.
Look for cost efficiencies and areas to better prioritize the station’s resources.
Provide guidance, meaningful feedback, and certain training to budget coordinators and managers.
Lead meetings with various audiences up to and including executive management.
Actively participate in peer teams.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com .
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. # LI
Job Field: Accounting & Auditing
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-South Alabama-Columbia
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Farley - 7388 North State Hwy 95 (7388COLUMBIA)
7388 North State Hwy 95
Req ID: SNC2005549