Southern Company Senior Category Manager in Atlanta, Georgia
Senior Category Manager
The purpose of this position is to 1) work with category stakeholders across all AGL Resources’ Business Units to aggregate category requirements, 2) define, develop, and execute sourcing events, strategies and action plans to procure all goods and services within assigned category(ies), 3) create contractual documents necessary to execute the agreed upon strategy and 4) ensure that the organization complies with all Supply Chain, Ethics, Spend, Delegation and other pertinent AGL Resources policies. This position will manage categories of spend through a network of suppliers in order to ensure that business objectives are met.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Manage a team of Category Managers to deliver assigned goals and objectives.
• Develop and/or support the development of strategic sourcing goals and strategies for the category(ies) to ensure that the maximum quality, service, technical support, and value added is received from suppliers of materials, services, and capital items at the lowest total cost of ownership.
• Quickly become a category subject matter expert and sourcing consultant to the business partners.
• Develop contracts which includes but is not limited to facilitating the negotiations of legal terms and the drafting of technical and commercial specifications.
• Continually examine and re-assess internal demand and external conditions to identify sourcing opportunities.
• Implement plans to support sourcing strategies for the category(ies) as appropriate.
• Develop integrated (tactical and strategic) category sourcing strategies which deliver short term savings and drives category transformation through time.
• Engage business stakeholders to define and validate technical and functional requirements for procurement processes.
• Prepares roadmap for assigned categories and manage initiatives to the plan.
• Conduct all strategic sourcing for category(ies), employing best practice processes and tools, including supply market analysis, RFI/RFP development and analysis, negotiations, development of supplier agreements and contracts, and supplier performance monitoring.
• Monitor supply market trends and issues, supplier performance and issues and changing internal requirements for materials or services within the category in order to identify new sourcing strategies or opportunities.
• Maintain effective relationships with internal stakeholders of the materials or services within the category as well as with other key functional company stakeholders.
• Develop and take ownership of all relationships with internal stakeholders and suppliers through all levels of the organization. Act as primary interface with critical stakeholders. Interface and communicate effectively with executive management as required.
• Through communications with internal stakeholders, constantly update the sourcing roadmap to ensure opportunities are identified early in the sourcing process
• Develop and manage key supplier relationships, including strategic suppliers and critical high volume long term contract suppliers
• Provide education and guidance to stakeholders regarding value of adopting and complying with purchasing policies, procedures, tools, and processes
• Work with Buyers and other Category Managers to develop and execute sourcing events to obtain goods and services
• Provide category leadership and direction to buyers as appropriate.
• Collaborate with various business units to manage Supply Chain vendor agreements and performance
• Deliver overall value, including savings, to categories through sourcing initiatives, negotiations, alternative sourcing options, etc.
• Meet and exceed Service Level Agreements set between Supply Chain and business units.
• Drive contract and vendor compliance to the new and existing enterprise agreements.
• Take ownership of and manage assigned categories including but not limited to, supplier performance, demand management, value creation, policy compliance, supplier diversity, etc.
• Bachelor's degree or commensurate work experience in Supply Chain Management, Business or related field.
• MBA and / or professional certification in Supply Chain
Related Work Experience:
• Minimum of 5 years of procurement experience which includes supplier performance management, strategic sourcing and/or contract development including but not limited to category management responsibilities.
• Minimum of 3 years of leadership / management experience in a category driven sourcing environment. Ability to develop and manage high performing teams and build collaborative relationships with either direct or indirect reports.
Specific Skills& Knowledge:
• Knowledge of supply markets and purchasing principles.
• Demonstrated negotiation skills.
• Ability to build collaborative relationships using emotional intelligence.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Category Management, Strategic Sourcing Methodologies, Procurement Processes and Best Practices.
• Experience with contract development and knowledge of contract terminology.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Ability to balance, manage and deliver multiple tasks at any one time.
• Strong skill in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Self-starter with proven track record of delivering value through strong collaboration with business stakeholders.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• The incumbent works in an office environment.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Occasional Traveler (5-10% travel): The incumbent will be required to travel on occasion. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2001776