Southern Company Program Manager, Customer Operations in Atlanta, Georgia
Program Manager, Customer Operations
The primary purpose of this position is to work closely with project managers to review and coordinate each project from a program perspective. The program manager will have visibility into projects that cross market segments and systems to provide guidance to the project managers. This role will be a working role that requires oversight of all aspects from inception to completion of projects assigned to them. The Program Manager will need to identify, understand and help improve business issues and processes for all of Retail Energy segment’s markets. The role will help drive entry into new markets or new acquisitions as well as any other new product or services. The incumbent will be responsible for defining and documenting business requirements as well as reviewing others project documentation and providing feedback to project managers. In their role they will provide functional subject matter expertise to various teams. For projects the Program Manager owns, provides comprehensive test cases and oversees thorough testing compliance with SouthStar’s business processes. The position will be responsible for developing project plans for projects and tracking and reporting on milestones and status. The position will also be responsible for providing analytical support for measuring operational improvements.
The Program Manager validates and improves customer requirements by verifying adherence to required functionality in delivered solutions, conducting user acceptance testing, managing customer change requests and providing the customer with ways to improve their processes by effectively using SouthStar's applications.
Job Responsibilities & Accountabilities by Competency
• Provide guidance to project managers who are managing multiple, possibly complex projects
• Provide guidance on conceptual solutions to project managers and vendors.
• Act as the primary point of contact for all technical and developmental internal and external vendors.
• Help hold internal and external vendors accountable to on-time project deliverables.
• Provide direction and work with all internal and external vendors to secure customer data, vendor system testing, system up-time, and disaster recovery.
• Provide project management for process improvement projects both in Customer Operations and throughout the Retail Energy segment, including idea conception, implementation and monitoring of results.
• Manages aspects of the project including research, writing project requirements analysis, documentation, design/development, testing, negotiation, problem resolution, training, status reporting, implementation, deliverables, project closing and post implementation review/audit.
• Provide project management for business and operational readiness related to the Retail Energy segment’s deployment into new markets. This includes coordinating resources from multiple functional areas in documenting project requirements and tracking and reporting on progress of all new markets implementation projects.
• Provide project management for business and operational readiness related to any Retail Energy segment acquisitions.
• Develops and presents project documentation with all project stakeholders. Documentation may include business cases, project initiation requests, conceptual designs and project plans.
• Provide project management for business and operational readiness related to certain system enhancements for all of the Retail Energy segment’s systems and in all markets.
• Develop detailed project plans for implementations and track and report on milestones, dependencies, risks and mitigations.
• Provide regular inputs for Customer Operations business and budget planning and assist with the monthly budget process as needed.
• Assist in supporting call center, billing and back office operations for all markets as needed. Support billing and back office audits as needed for all markets
• Drive system enhancement projects for all markets in the role of Service Quality owner as needed. This includes reviewing and providing feedback on business requirements, functional requirements, test plans, test scenarios, documentation and training materials.
• Assist with developing a long term strategy for systems and operations to support continued growth in all existing and new markets.
• Maintain knowledge of regulatory requirements and changes across all markets.
• Proactively identify and communicate issues, concerns, status or questions to all stakeholders for projects as required in a timely manner.
• Provide liaison between Customer Operations, IT, Business Owners, and Vendors to roll out new operational processes, website and system changes.
• Liaise with other Retail Energy segment departments and Vendors to develop and launch new operational processes and process improvements as well as develop and implement system, IVR and website changes and enhancements.
• Interact with all levels and departments of the organization such as IT, Regulatory, Marketing business owners, and vendors to maintain and update project plans.
• Liaise with Call Center(s) and other departments as required, for providing information on new programs and launches as well as updates relating to system/program issues and changes.
• Serve as a member of each system’s Project Review Committee and advise the committees on projects timelines and priority.
• Measure ongoing process improvements by creating and implementing associated statistics, reports and/or metrics.
• Provide analytical support in evaluating the Retail Energy segment‘s systems and operations as needed to identify and recommend process improvement opportunities.
• Project success measurements would be having projects deployed by our vendors on budget, on time, within scope and within the estimated hours.
• Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of applicable experience
• PMP Certification, working towards obtaining or approved equivalent which may include experience.
Related Work Experience:
• Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
• Manage projects independently with limited supervision. Manage all facets of multiple projects, in accordance with company's project management methodology. Manage the development and implementation process of a company's products and/or services. Coordinate departmental or cross-functional teams.
• Manage project from initiation through implementation and delivery. Provide planning and direction on schedules and monitoring budget/spending. Guide projects thru to completion on time, with agreed upon scope, within budget meeting and/or exceeding quality standards.
• Retail utility experience
• Previous program management experience
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Strong project management skills
• Be highly organized and a good multi-tasker, take charge and know how to lead and be an effective communicator.
• Ability to perform metrics creation, implementation, tracking and reporting for operational departments
• Experience with operational or system requirements gathering. Specifically, soliciting, documenting and reviewing requirements through to approval with multiple business owners.
• Ability to conduct trending and analysis to identify root causes and possible solutions
• Computer literate; strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Project, Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access
• Advanced database knowledge (e.g. developing and executing SQL statements, importing data, etc.)
• Ability to work with IT and manage Billing System enhancements by working with end users, defining scope of projects, define cost / benefit justification, define test plan, train end users, and document all processes for successful implementation
• Entrepreneurial focused. Ability to do whatever is needed to get the job done. Big picture view of all processes.
• Ability to lead by example.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate positively and professionally with customers, coworkers and vendors
• Highly service and results-oriented.
• Strong relationship management skills
• Strong organizational and problem resolution skills
• Ability to manage and complete multiple high priority projects and activities with strict time sensitive deadlines.
• Ability to work independently under moderate supervision; ability to also operate effectively as a team player, even if located remotely
• Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks with sensitive timelines
• Demonstrated leadership, team-building and employee management skills
• Contract and Vendor Management experience
• An understanding of business processes and billing systems.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• This position requires occasional travel (5-20%). The incumbent may be required to travel on occasion. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• This position occasionally requires prolonged standing or walking
• This position occasionally requires incumbent to reach above shoulder level
• The position occasionally requires incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch or crawl
• This position requires the ability to lift up to 10 pounds
• The incumbent works in an office environment
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: SouthStar Energy Services
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
SouthStar Energy Services - 817 W. Peachtree St., NW (817AtlantaCODE)
817 W. Peachtree St., NW
Req ID: GAS2001729